Featured Post

List of Monthly Drawing Challenges for WHOLE Year

Update 01-04-2018: I did it! I uploaded for Inktober 2017! Well, I'm still uploading for it. But that's because I want to hit my go...

Monday, July 10, 2017

Sketch Diary: Loosen up with scribbles


Even when I'm just wildly scrolling my hand around the page, I still draw mermaids.

So why are you uploading scribbles, Mere?! Because the best way to show you how I warm up is to... well, show you. Sometimes the mind is willing but the body is weak. Gotta loosen up those fingers and most importantly, the wrist! That's where the magic happens, for me anyway. If my wrists are tight, I can't draw diddly-squat.

If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. Here's what I do:

  1. Put pen to paper (pen is better than pencil if you have a habit of wanting to erase all the time, no erasing!). 
  2. Then I close my eyes and start slow, building speed and then slowing down as I meander around the page. 
  3. Once I feel I have adequately made my mark and loosened my wrist, I stop and open my eyes. 
  4. I look for shapes. Usually I see postures like a torso in movement or something. 
  5. Once I see the shape clearly enough, I play with is further, now looking at what I'm drawing. I add details as I feel like it till I'm as done as I want to be with the drawing, usually about 15 minutes or so.  
And that's it! Enjoy.

with love - M

No comments:

Post a Comment